Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Chapter 19 - Shhh... let Mommy sleep...

"Shhh.. let Mommy sleep in this morning," Carmen said, pulling Acai from her crib. 
Then proceeded to play with her, causing her to emit loud giggles and shrieks of laughter.

I rolled over and pulled the pillow over my head.
"Here you go, have a bottle," Carmen said. "I have to go to work.  Play quietly."
"Ba. Ba. Ba. Ba. BAAAAAAA!" Acai chanted cheerfully, sipping her drink.
"ALRIGHT, I'M UP!" I growled, rolling from bed. "THANKS FOR LEAVING HER IN THE BEDROOM!" I shouted towards the livingroom at Carmen.
"Ma. Ma. Ma. MAAAAAA!" Acai babbled.
I swept her up into my arms.  "Ack. You're too cute!" I said, tickling her little rounded belly.  "I can't stay mad at you!"
"Mommy  just needs to finish a stakeout report real quick," I told her as I set her down.  "Just 5 minutes," I promised.

I checked the time 15 minutes and swore under my breath.  Good thing toddlers can't tell time!
Might as well start potty-training early, I thought as I helped Acai onto the toddler potty.
After we'd cleaned up, I tried to put her down for a nap.  That didn't work.
So I sunk to the floor and began teaching her the 7 steps to being the best private eye in the business.  A girl should know these things early on.


..."And the most important thing to do during a stakeout is stay hidden.  I use them pom-pom bushes. They look so real, no one even thinks anything of it," I told her proudly.   My phone started ringing.  "Oh, hold on, let me get this."
I managed to get to a vertical position and answered the phone.  "Hello?" I answered.  "Oh, hey Hank.  What's up?" Hank started talking a mile a minute, more agitated than I'd ever heard him.  "Whoa, slow down. What's the matter?" I asked.

And I listened to him complain about his fiance, Pauline, and how she thought skilling for logic made people boring.

I scoffed, "Boring? Are you kidding? Especially when you're a cop, you need logic on a daily basis!" I agreed with him.

"You tell her that!" he said.

I laughed.

"No, really. YOU tell her that. She won't believe me!" he prodded.

"You know what, I will! I'll be right over!" I promised.  It'd be nice to hang out with my old friend a little.  I could totally have a chat with Pauline and provide a convincing argument about the merits of logical thought!
I headed out, but didn't make it much past the Alto household.  "Um, you can pull over here," I told the taxi driver.

"You're home already?" Carmen asked. "Did you forget something?"

I shook my head, sweating bullets.

"Then what's up? I thought you were going over to Hank's?"
Another contraction hit and I breathed heavily, grabbing my stomach.

Carmen caught on quickly enough...
We'd talked about it beforehand.  We didn't want to leave Acai with a babysitter she didn't know.  And having gone through one delivery, we were fairly confident we could handle it on our own.  So, the decision had been to have a home birth.

But, with Carmen freaking out and the contractions making me eyes cross-eyed, I wasn't entirely sure how I felt about the situation.
But I guess there was no turning back now.

Man, delivering is hard work!  I thought, rubbing the back of my neck.
Hey wait... where'd my support team go?!  (AN: I cancelled out the "Deliver at Hospital" action so that Acai didn't get left at home alone & Carmen packed up shop and went to bed.  Way to be there for your wife, bud!)
It was worth it though when I held my second daughter in my arms.  She was absolutely precious!
"Sleep well, sweetheart," I told her as I laid her in her own crib.
I knew that I was going to sleep soundly!


Torch Holders: +1 (1) = 1
Painting of Torch Holder: +5
Sim Failing School: -5
Visit from Service Sim: -5
Passing Out: -5
Self-Urination: -5 (1) = -5
Accidental Deaths: -10
Social Worker Visit: -15
Births: +5 (2) = 10 (Welcome to the family Bitter Melon!)
Twin Births: +10
Triplet Births: +15
Fulfilling LTW: +40
Achieving Honor Roll: +5
Randomizing  LTW choice and trait for a generation: +10
Not using spares Happiness points for a generation: +10
Every 100,000 dollars: +20
NPS Spouse reach the top of their career: +40
Cheat Penalty: -10 (2) = -20

Total = -14

2 comments:

  1. Really nice way of explaining that opportunity for convincing someone that 'logic is great' or whatever it was XD Welcome Bitter Melon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol. I'm just glad it happened to be Hank & Pauline! It makes it easier to weave a story when they know each other! :)

      Delete