Monday, October 5, 2015

Chapter 38 - Feel good tomato...

I got the call. The eggheads at the science lab informed me that the tomatoes are modified, but they are not sure how. They think it's good, but they could not obtain conclusive evidence.  I should eat one of them under the watchful eye of a surgeon.
So here I am, ready to check in at Sacred Spleen.  

Immediately after eating the tomato, I started feeling great! In fact, I felt so great,  that I decided whatever was in this tomato couldn't be bad!  Nothing bad could make you feel this good...

Maybe I should get a second opinion...



"Where'd your mother go in such a hurry?" Carmen asked Bitter Melon.

She just shrugged.  "Dunno."
Carmen sighed as he reached for his book.  Simone was always in a rush somewhere...



I hunted down Doc Jolina to get more information about why I suddenly felt so good.  According to Dr. Jolina, nothing should work that well.  She was quite skeptical.

She suggested it was just a placebo effect.

But I know what I feel...
I think it's time to check out the grocer a little more thoroughly...
I snooped around, dusting the produce.  If my school years serve me right, there's a chemical compound HyroSimoxoxNooper sprinkled over the tomatoes.  I didn't think it was a preservative and wonder how that would affect the 'organic' label.

I did a short, little stakeout to see if I observed anything useful.
What the heck was Doc Jolina doing in the middle of the street?
Of course Parker Langerak was involved in this somehow...

While my suspects were distracted, I slipped away.

Back home, I wasn't surprised to find Carmen at the easel painting again.  Sometimes she wondered how such a natural-born artist wound up with the desire to make it to the top of the military career.  Something was screwy there!

She glanced over to the spot she'd set the battered gnome Cornelia Go... Landgraab... had given her.  What the heck?  A baby gnome? What was that about?   Was someone putting gnomes on her lawn?  Strange...
Shaking my head, I headed back to my room to hack the scientific database for information on the chemical I observed.   

Of course the computer was broken, I thought sourly.  The kids are not allowed to use it from now on! 
When I'd managed to get the computer running again, I pulled up the Scientific Database & was shocked.  HyroSimoxoxNooper is a unique mutagen that provides immediate health benefits, but had terrible long-term effects.

The supermarket is selling mutant produce!
 I went down to see the grocer's management with my findings in hand.

They were aghast at what they were selling, at least they put on a good show.  I was convinced they knew!  But, the manager immediately pulled the produce off the shelves & swore never to use that supplier again.  I was told prices were raised because customers seemed so happy with the produce, but with the return of the old produce comes the return of the old prices.

Time to let my customer know the good news.
Lisa Bunch was glad I was able to solve the case, but the question remains: what is going on with the mutant produce?  Something is afoot and I intend to find out just what it is.  This case is far from over!

Case closed!

Or is it?


Torch Holders: +1 (1) = 1
Painting of Torch Holder: +5
Sim Failing School: -5
Visit from Service Sim: -5
Passing Out: -5 (1) = -5
Self-Urination: -5 (1) = -5

Accidental Deaths: -10
Social Worker Visit: -15
Births: +5 (3) = 15
Twin Births: +10
Triplet Births: +15
Fulfilling LTW: +40
Achieving Honor Roll: +5
Randomizing  LTW choice and trait for a generation: +10
Not using spares Happiness points for a generation: +10
Every 100,000 dollars: +20
NPS Spouse reach the top of their career: +40
Cheat Penalty: -10 (2) = -20

Total = -14 



No comments:

Post a Comment