Friday, October 16, 2015

Chapter 44 - Making Up for Lost Time

Carmen woke up feeling refreshed. 
There were a few chores he wanted to get done before work.  Those spoiled leftovers had been smelling up the whole kitchen for who-knows-how-long!
He headed off to work with a smile on his face.

"Oh plumbbob, I could eat a cow!" Bitter Melon complained.  
Acai rolled her eyes at her sister, "Quit being such a drama queen."

Bitter Melon scoffed, "Oh that's great. ME being the drama queen!"
"You're both drama queens," Citron said as he clambered down his bunk bed.  "But I love you both," he added when both sisters whirled around to glare at him.
"I'll make breakfast," Citron offered.
"I'll clean the stove off for you," Acai offered, scrubbing at the caked-on spills on the stove.

Citron pulled out the jelly.  "Oh, no need. I was going to make pbj's."

Acai threw the sponge towards the sink. 
"You guys are crazy. I'm just going to eat leftovers!"
 Then off to school...

With the kids gone, I headed to town to tie up the loose ends of the Fish Kid case.

"...and that's the Plumbbob's honest truth!" I finished telling Jocasta Bachelor.  "The Fish Kid ate your apples."

Jocasta stared at me blankly, finally managing to stammer, "You've got to be kidding me."

"No, seriously! The poor kid slipped away in the sewer system!" I said defensively, pulling out the note I'd found the prior night.  "Look!"

Jocasta glanced at the note and then got a gleam in her eye.  She grabbed my arm and determinedly dragged me towards City Hall.  "We have got to tell the mayor!"
An hour later, a little dazed from the publicity whirlwind, I was leaving City Hall with an Investigator's Ribbon of Bravery in recognition of my hard work and impressive, my words, investigative skills during the Fish Kid case.  

Tamara Donner, recently vindicated mayor, made sure there were plenty of reporters for the photo opp.


I couldn't wait to tell the kids.  They were going to get a kick out this!
 "Hey! Guess what!" I said to retreating backs.  

"Gotta do my hair, Mom!" Acai called out.

Bitter Melon glanced over her shoulder, "Yeah, ditto!"

"But.. I really wanted to tell someone!" I protested as the front door slammed.
"You can tell me!" Carmen said, popping up behind me. 
So many years we've been married, I thought to myself, and he still made my knees weak when I looked in his eyes!

"I love you," I told him with a quick buss on his cheek.

Carmen laughed. "Is that what you wanted to tell the kids?"
I joined his laughter.  "No, but I'll tell you later. Acai's birthday party is starting."


I followed the group in when news trickled out that Acai was ready to blow the candles out on the cake.
"Happy Birthday, Acai!" everyone cheered and clapped.


 I hissed in Acai's ear, "He's right there. Just talk to him!"

Acai hissed back in embarrassment, "Moooooooom!"  She nervously glanced towards Bryant as he grabbed a slice of cake, "He might hear you..."

I threw my hands up in the air.   The girl had been mooning over him for years!
I grabbed a piece of cake and headed to the table after Bryant.  "So, what have you been up to since graduation?" I asked, making small talk.

Bryant smiled and shrugged, "Oh, this and that," he answered.  "My dad wants me to go into business with him, but I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do with my life."

"Ah, sounds exciting," I said, glancing over my shoulder and motioning towards Acai. 

She whirled around in embarrassment.

Sheesh, I thought, poor girl had inherited my coward gene!  "Excuse me a moment," fixing Bryant with a brilliant smile. 
"Look, Acai," I said quietly.  "Just because you talk to him now doesn't mean that you're going to marry him or anything."

"I don't know," Acai said hesitantly, glancing over towards her high school crush.  "What if he doesn't like me?"

I rolled my eyes.  "I can tell he likes you! He keeps glancing over here looking at us."
 "Omigod.." Acai groaned, glancing towards Bryant, who then whipped around in his seat.

"Oh for the love of... go talk to the boy!"

Hallelujah, I'd finally managed to convince the girl to take a chance!
 Acai found herself drawn to Bryant's side.  "Hi," she said shyly.

"Hi," Bryant said back.
 Oh. Well, okay!  That's one way to get to know each other. 
"Come on, you big lug, let's get you showered!" I told Carmen, pulling him into my arms.  "Let's give these two some time to get to know each other."


 Acai was in heaven!  Who knew that Bryant had a crush on her, as well?!
 "Another bouquet?" I squealed in pleasure. 

"One bouquet isn't large enough for you!" Bryant told her.
Acai gazed deeply into Bryant's eyes.  "I wish we hadn't wasted so many years..."

"Me, too," Bryant said, "I guess we'll just have to make up for lost time," he said, pulling out another bouquet.
 Acai inhaled the sweet smell of love.
Acai walked Bryant out to the door.  "I wish you didn't have to go," she told him.

"I know. I don't want to go," he said, reaching for her hands.

The new couple held hands, attempting to prolong their romantic night.


Torch Holders: +1 (1) = 1
Painting of Torch Holder: +5 (1) = 5
Sim Failing School: -5
Visit from Service Sim: -5
Passing Out: -5 (1) = -5
Self-Urination: -5 (1) = -5

Accidental Deaths: -10
Social Worker Visit: -15
Births: +5 (3) = 15
Twin Births: +10
Triplet Births: +15
Fulfilling LTW: +40
Achieving Honor Roll: +5 (1) = 5
Randomizing  LTW choice and trait for a generation: +10
Not using spares Happiness points for a generation: +10
Every 100,000 dollars: +20
NPS Spouse reach the top of their career: +40
Cheat Penalty: -10 (2) = -20

Total = -4 

No comments:

Post a Comment