Friday, October 16, 2015

Chapter 46 - Crying Wolf

"Thanks for taking the trash out!" I called out as Carmen carted the trash to the curb.

He smiled back at me, "No problem. Just trying to get the chores done."
He grabbed my dirty breakfast plate and headed to the sink.
"AH HA!" I laughed inappropriately as the gush of water slammed right into his face.  "Bitter got you this time!"  I chuckled as I headed to the bedroom to fix my computer and troll the forums for a new investigative case.
Carmen glanced down at his sopping shirt and sighed.
 One more thing to do, he thought irritably.

Now I hadn't used my computer in who knows how long.  The kids said something funny was happening with it.  So, out came my trusty screwdriver...

A few strategic jams and it was good as new.  It booted right up. 
 I started to load my web browser when this... thing.. just popped out of my screen, out of nowhere!
 I shrieked in fear and looked away, laying a hand over my heart to steady the erratic beating.  Dammit, Bitter, I thought irritably.  She got me, too!
 
"Everything okay, babe?" Carmen called from the other room.

I glanced back at the computer, relieved that everything was as it should be.  "Yeah! I'm fine!"  I quickly found a new case and was headed out the door...

"Where are you headed to?" Carmen asked.

I smiled nervously, "Er... I found a case!"
Carmen looked so disappointed.  "Since we're all alone, I was kind of hoping we could... you know... spend have some more special time together..."

He glanced meaningfully towards the big, empty bed.
He had me at Since...

I wrapped my arms around him.  "I suppose I can go in a little later..."

Much later...
As luck would have it, my job was for Christopher Steel.  And he just happened to be at the lake across the street from us.  I waved my hand from my porch and called out to him.
Apparently Christopher thought someone was breaking into his house every night and bruising his toes...

"I just bet it's that Alvi guy.  Ever since we moved next door to him, he's been giving me a stink eye," Christopher explained.

I pondered this.  "And you think that he's sneaking into your home and... smashing your toes... without you hearing anything?"

Christopher shrugged helplessly.  


I head to City Hall to see if I can find VJ at his job.

"Hi Tamara," I say in passing.

"Keep up the good work, Persimmon!" she said.
Pressing on, I found VJ outside on a cigarette break.  "Alvi! I'd like to have a word with you!" I called out.
VJ turned towards me and sneered.  "What is it?" he snapped.  "I'm a very busy man."

"Yes... I can see that."  I looked him up and down, taking in his formal top with his swimsuit bottoms.  "Let me get to the point... Christopher Steel's toes."

VJ blinked in confusion.  "What?"

Hmm, either he was innocent or he was a very good actor.  "Christopher Steel has suggested you might be responsible for his bruised toes..."

VJ burst out cackling like a hyena who has had too much laughing gas at the dentist. It appears the real suspect is Christopher Steel. Every night he sleep walks and kicks a garden gnome. 
I headed over to the hospital to speak with a doctor about VJ's sleepwalking theory.  According to the docs, the sleepwalking theory makes a lot of sense. It seems Christopher has even consulted with the hospital for sleepwalking.

Seems like something he might've considered sharing with me!
A short hop, skip & jump and I was back at Summer Spring Hills to give Christopher an update.
"So, the prevailing theory is that you've been kicking gnomes while sleep walking," I began.
"Ahhh. Makes sense," Christopher nodded in agreement. 

I wrote up his bill, tempted to charge him extra just for the sheer ridiculousness.


"Well, hello to you, too!" I said as Bitter Melon just brushed past me without a word.
"Hellooooooo" Bitter snapped.  "Better?"
I turned on my heel.  "Stop right there, missy!" I demanded, pleased to see Bitter stop in her tracks.  I wasn't quite sure what I would do if she'd kept on going.
I quickly prepared a lecture.  "Maybe you should spend some of your time doing something productive, like practicing your skills."

Bitter shrugged and went into the kitchen and began cooking.

In spite of myself, I was impressed.
"Thanks for making dinner," I told Bitter.  "It feels good helping the family, doesn't it?" I asked pointedly.

Bitter rolled her eyes.  "Of course!" she answered.

I stood up and gathered the plates.  "Since you cooked, I will do the dishes. How does that sound?"
"BITTER!" I snapped with barely constrained ire.  Her pranks were beginning to get very, very, very old.
Bitter gaped at the broken sink.  "That wasn't me! I didn't do it!"

No one believed her, of course.


Torch Holders: +1 (1) = 1
Painting of Torch Holder: +5 (1) = 5
Sim Failing School: -5
Visit from Service Sim: -5
Passing Out: -5 (1) = -5
Self-Urination: -5 (1) = -5

Accidental Deaths: -10
Social Worker Visit: -15
Births: +5 (3) = 15
Twin Births: +10
Triplet Births: +15
Fulfilling LTW: +40
Achieving Honor Roll: +5 (1) = 5
Randomizing  LTW choice and trait for a generation: +10
Not using spares Happiness points for a generation: +10
Every 100,000 dollars: +20
NPS Spouse reach the top of their career: +40
Cheat Penalty: -10 (2) = -20

Total = -4 

2 comments:

  1. The 'encourage to improve skills' interaction can make them cook? What a blessing in an ISBI!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I know, right! I need to remember that! I'm going to have to try it again in generation 2! :)

      Delete