Friday, October 16, 2015

Chapter 47 - A Game of Telephone

Carmen woke earlier than the rest of the household by habit.  He saw a few dirty plates that had been left on the desk and sighed.  He guessed the plates didn't get washed after the whole 'broken sink' debacle.
He scooped them up and went to the closest sink.
"BITTER MELON!" he yelled, somehow managing to keep hold on the plates.

"Bitter! If you pull one more prank in this household, I swear to Plumbbob, I am going to ship you off to boarding school!"

Bitter gasped.  "But I haven't set anything lately!"

"Well then, you need to remember where each and every single one of your pranks have been set! Because I swear..."  I glanced down and saw the puddle.  "Did you have an accident?!"

Bitter reared back with affront, "NO! I've been potty-trained since I was a baby!"

"Citron?" I asked.

Citron glanced up from his homework.  "Not I."

"Then who was it?" I demanded.

"Dad?" Bitter Melon suggested with a shrug.
Carmen walked back inside, dripping wet & leaving puddles in his wake.


Bitter Melon spent the afternoon painting a rather bright and cheery picture.  She leaned back and eyed it critically.  "It's crap.  A stinking load of crap," she said sourly.


"Dad, I just need to get through my chemistry homework! You can't keep interrupting me every 5 minutes!"  Citron complained. 

"I'm sorry," Cameron said.  "I'd just remembered a funny joke I'd heard the other day..."


Bitter Melon crept through the house, trying to be as quiet as possible.
"BOO!"
"Bitter!"  Carmen said after he managed to speak again.  "You could've given me a heart attack!"
Bitter rolled her eyes.  "Aw, come on, Dad. It was just a joke!"

Citron was finally able to finish his organic chemistry homework and decided to attempt an experiment with the new lab station his parents had purchased for him.  (Citon's Teen Command)
He swirled the contents in the beaker and slowly added the solutions together, watching to see if there was a response.

Bitter Melon swirled the dark red colors onto the black background and smiled.  "Much better," she said, pleased with the dark art she was creating.

Dark Art, she thought with irony.  She thought of the bottle of Witches Brew she carried with her since she'd been drawn to the little Alchemist's shop that night.

I checked my watch, fairly certain I could finish this case up before night fall.  People these days, I thought with a sigh.  Always so worried about what so and so said about them!  Kerry Alto wanted to hire me to quash a rumor that's been floating around.

Apparently his father-in-law, Nick referred to Kerry as a llama-brained-gnome-herder... whatever that is.  Kerry's insisting that it's insulting & that I need to do something about it.
I knew the best way to make a difference was to hit all the big families in town.

First stop was to visit his sister, Holly Alto Landgraab.  "Apparently your dad's been mouthing off and Kerry's worried everyone will think he really is a.." I tried to remember the exact insult. "Llama-brained.. goat-herder..."  I shrugged. Close enough.

Holly laughed. "Oh, I know he's not!" she assured me.  "I know how my father is."
My next stop was the Goths.  "Bella, I wanted to speak to you about Kerry Alto.  You might have heard a few rumors..."

Bella nodded, adding in a shocked voice, "I couldn't believe what they said he did to those poor gnomes! I knew it had to be some sort of mistake!"

"Umm.. wait... what did you hear?" I asked.

Bella whispered the rumor to me and my mouth dropped.  "Let me assure you, that is far from the truth!"

This was like some sort of horrible telephone game where the message gets more and more twisted!
I needed to put an end to it once and for all.
One last stop...
"Tamara!" I smiled.  "There's something I need your help with..."

"Anything for you, Simone!"

"It's as good as done," I told Kerry.  "At least until the next time Nick blows off at the mouth."

Kerry frowned and scratched his head. "Ohhh.... yeah...."


Back at home I kissed my husband hello and then retired to our bedroom.  Our love life had certainly gotten a bump in our golden years!  I guess Carmen really didn't want another child!
"Scram!" I told Bitter Melon as we settle on the mattress.
"Ew. That's so gross!" Bitter groused.  "You guys aren't supposed to do it. You're too old!"
We snickered like teenagers. 

"Says who?" I joked.


His experiment didn't go quite as planned.
Citron sat at the chess table and went over where he'd gone wrong.  Was it the hydrogen or liquid ice that caused that reaction?


Torch Holders: +1 (1) = 1
Painting of Torch Holder: +5 (1) = 5
Sim Failing School: -5
Visit from Service Sim: -5
Passing Out: -5 (1) = -5
Self-Urination: -5 (1) = -5

Accidental Deaths: -10
Social Worker Visit: -15
Births: +5 (3) = 15
Twin Births: +10
Triplet Births: +15
Fulfilling LTW: +40
Achieving Honor Roll: +5 (1) = 5
Randomizing  LTW choice and trait for a generation: +10
Not using spares Happiness points for a generation: +10
Every 100,000 dollars: +20
NPS Spouse reach the top of their career: +40
Cheat Penalty: -10 (2) = -20

Total = -4 

No comments:

Post a Comment